Friday, December 14, 2012

December 14, 2012

A good friend of mine just brought it to my attention that the blog has “suffered six months of silence.” I apologize because I have not been looking at it this way. Let me assure you that during these six-months of blog silence, every day has been filled with the wonderful, amazing, incredibly loud singing of normal everyday life. And to be finally consumed again by everyday life is the exact luxury for which we fought and cried and screamed our way through melanoma’s song-stifling encapsulation.  There has been no suffering in my silence. There has been only living. Sweet, glorious, exhilaratingly mundane living. And there has never been anything in the world for which I am more thankful.

The news continues to be miraculous. I am down to one tiny, subcutaneous tumor on my back. A few months ago, we realized a new tumor in my arm, which resulted in full scans including a PET scan. While the tumor did prove to be melanoma, the PET scan showed that this tumor and the tiny one in my back were the only cancer I had left. This means that all of the shrinking remnants we had been following have been confirmed not to be cancer anymore. I went from more than 30 tumors, including those in my liver and pancreas, down to two tiny, harmless subcutaneous tumors. They removed the tumor in my arm, because they have not been monitoring my arms and legs and have no way of knowing if it was a new tumor or something that has been there all along. So now there is one. One little hanger on to remind us of the lessons we’ve learned and to keep us grounded. I don’t mind this tiny passenger. A lot of beauty was revealed through the horror and there is a part of me that is not yet ready to fully let go. I will take you with me for the ride, but hang on if you’re coming because while I may turn to you for guidance, I will never let you slow me down.

The transition from patient to survivor is difficult to describe. The all-encompassing, life-consuming, soul-wringing intensity that you live with every single day, not only takes an extreme emotional toll, but also translates physically into the equivalent of a long-term sustained adrenaline rush. Your body is in “fight” mode 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, for months and even years. When you receive the amazing news that this part is over, while it is absolutely fabulous news, it doesn’t work like a switch to turn off your body’s stress response. There is a purgatory between being told you are a survivor and getting to be a survivor. There is a time when your mind and body are working to “normalize” out of this constant intensity and regain their footing outside the boundaries of cancer’s realm. I had a constant, unrelenting need to focus my adrenaline somewhere. And this was paired with a constant, unrelenting frustration in not having a focus.  And this combination was then paired with a constant crushing guilt that I was not grateful enough for this miracle. But, thankfully, time marches on and during this march the deafening clamor of the full performance band quieted to a gentle rhythm and I have begun to dance with freedom once again.

So for these past six months, I have been being patient with myself; letting my mind and my body unwind the knots that were intricately woven during the past two years. I have been reintroduced to “normal” life and I have found the steady beat of being a wife and a mother, working full time, raising a toddler, enjoying my husband, reviling in my friendships, and rediscovering who I used to be. This reintroduction is an undefined process with no completion date. But at least I am at the point where I am okay with that. I am at the point where I can just be. And the way I be, is thankful. Thankful for my every-day cares and concerns, and thankful for my every day.

We told Kai about Santa Claus a few weeks ago and it has consumed his every fiber. He wants to read Christmas books every night and talk about Santa and Christmas and trees and decorations all the time. He is in love with the Christmas magic and it is wondrous to behold. There was a time when I was sure that I would never tell my kids about Santa because I felt it was a lie. But if this experience has taught me anything it is that we all need some magic to hold onto in our lives. And my mission in life is to fill Kai’s world with as much magic as possible, to build a foundation of wonder and belief, so that if he ever needs it, he will always have a full stockpile of hope to tap into. We have taken him to see Santa in person twice already, and since he’s only 2, multiple Santas just mean more Santa fun. Both times he told Santa that he wants cars, trucks, and trains. And, of course, Santa will bring him cars, trucks, and trains. Last year, all I wanted was to be here to celebrate this year.  And, just like he will for Kai, Santa delivered. Santa, in the form of science, dedication, and love, worked his magic to save my life. In this world of chaos, of constant consuming, of crisis, of complexity, of condemnation, there is a fundamental need to believe in magic. Sometimes, just sometimes, when you let your mind relax, put a smile upon your face, and relinquish control, you can see Santa off in the distance with a twinkle in his eye. And in this second, when your true desires are clear, you can be confident that you will get everything you want that year. May we all get everything we want this year.

Today I am thankful for magic. I am thankful that I am here to see Kai’s first exposure to Santa; I am thankful for our upcoming trip to New Mexico, which will be our first time there in three years; I am thankful for the holiday season of magic; I am thankful for all of our fabulous friends and family; and, as always, I am thankful for my sweet sweet Jeff, the very best husband in the world, and for our wondrous baby Kai. Of all the magic I have ever seen, you are by far the most awesome of all.

14 comments:

  1. Jamie, you're an inspiration to us all. As someone who is following some of your tracks along this melanoma journey, I can absolutely relate.

    Life is for living! Live it and live it well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m giving a testimony about Dr. KOKOBI the great Herbalist, he has the
      cure to all manner of diseases, he cured my  breast cancer, though I
      went through different website I saw different testimonies about
      different spell casters and herbalist, I was like: ‘Many people have
      the breast cancer remedy, So why are people still suffering from it?’ I thought of
      it, then I decided to contact kokobiherbalremedycentre@gmail.com , I didn’t believe him that
      much, I just wanted to give him a try, he replied my mail and Needed
      some Information about me, then I sent them to him, he prepared it
      (CURE) and sent it to Airfreight Online Courier Service for delivery,
      he gave my details to the Courier Office, they told me that 3-5 days I
      will receive the package and i took the medicine as prescribed by him
      and I went for check-up 1 week after finishing the medicine, I was
      tested breast cancer negative, if you are breast cancer patient or any cancer patient at all. Do me
      a favour for you to contact him and I will try my possible best to make
      sure you get cured, when you contact him, make sure you tell him that
      I referenced you.. contact him via: kokobiherbalremedycentre@gmail.com You can also message him on whatsapp +254746618873 and for more info message me @ pamela.drews77@gmail.com

      Delete
  2. Love. What a great post. You are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You, and your Santa magic, continue to amaze me and so many others. Keep doing what you are doing. Stay strong sista. You are amazing, BIBFF!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfection. So, so grateful to see you are doing so beautifully!
    My man's scans (following his IL-2 treatments in May and August) in December revealed the tumors in his lungs were/are DORMANT. INACTIVE. THWARTED.

    Every day I too wonder if there is any way I can fully demonstrate the magnitude of my gratefulness. Such a blessing to be free of the beast.

    Our twins were 4 when my man's fight began. They're now ELEVEN. We're basking in vigilance...and LIFE. :)

    Love and peace and continued cancer-free life to you and your wondrous family. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love you Jamie.... So appreciate your powerful writing and wisdom! Having known you since you were a little girl, it's great to read about you embracing the magic of Santa and the mystery of hope again. Wish you a very happy and health 2013 ... Joy

    ReplyDelete
  6. you are very very very beautiful Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Woo-hoo!! So happy for you and your family. Heard about your story from a friend and have followed you since - realized it had been awhile so just checked in - so glad to see this update! Your sharing will help so many no matter what the individual circumstances. Again - Woo-Hoo for you and yours!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You make us all thankful for magic Jamie, we love you!

    ReplyDelete


  9. WHAT A GREAT MIRACLE THAT I HAVE EVER SEE IN MY LIFE. My names are Robert Mary
    I’m a citizen of United Kingdom, My younger sister was Sicking of
    breast cancer and her name is Robert Jane, I and my family have taking
    her to all kind of hospital in UK still yet no good result. I decided
    to go to the internet and search for cancer cure so that was how I
    find a lady called Sarah peter she was testifies to the world about
    the goodness of a herbal man who has the root and half to cure all
    kind of disease and the herbal email was there. So I decided to
    contact the herbal man for my younger sister help to cure her breast
    cancer. I contacted him and told him my problem he told me that I
    should not worry that my sister cancer will be cure, he told me that
    there is a medicine that he is going to give me that I will cook it
    and give it to my sister to drink for one week, so I ask how can I
    receive the cure that I am in UK, he told me
    That I will pay for the delivery service. The courier service can
    transport it to me so he told me the amount I will pay, so my dad paid
    for the delivery fee. two days later I receive the cure from the
    courier service so I used it as the herbal man instructed me to,
    before the week complete my sister cancer was healed and it was like a
    dream to me not knowing that it was physical I and my family were very
    happy about the miracle of Doctor so my dad wanted to pay him 5
    million us dollars the herbal man did not accept the offer from my dad,but I don't know why he did not accept the offer,he only said
    I should tell the world about him and his miracle he perform so am now
    here to tell the world about him if you or your relative is having any
    kind of disease that you can't get from the hospital please contact
    Dr.ogididanspelltemple@gmail.com or WhatsApp him +2347067393105,message him on instragram dr.ogididanspelltemple for the cure, he will help you out
    with any problems you have.To get more information you can message me via email robertmary8947@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was diagnosed as HEPATITIS B carrier in 2013 with fibrosis of the
    liver already present. I started on antiviral medications which
    reduced the viral load initially. After a couple of years the virus
    became resistant. I started on HEPATITIS B Herbal treatment from
    ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC there website is https://ultimatelifeclinic.com in March, 2020. Their
    treatment totally reversed the virus. I did another blood test after
    the 6 months long treatment and tested negative to the virus. Amazing
    treatment! This treatment is a breakthrough for all HBV carriers.

    ReplyDelete